Chicken & Basil
- Mullen’s Chicken and Basil Sausages plain or spicy
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, cut into long slices
- 2 green peppers, cut into long slices
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree - 2 x 400g of tomatoes
- 1 chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small bunch of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 eggs
- 8 tablespoons of thick natural yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Feta Cheese or Mozzarella Cheese (optional)
1. Start by cooking the Mullen's Chicken and Basil Sausages to their full length and then cut them into slices.
2. Heat olive oil in another large skillet with a lid.
Add slices of Mullen's Chicken and Basil sausages, onions, bell peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until smooth. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the cumin and cayenne pepper seeds. Add the tomato puree and cook for a few more minutes. Add the tomatoes with a splash of water.
3. Simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered, until slightly reduced.
Test after 5 minutes and add a little sugar if you think the tomatoes need it. Monitor the texture; You don't want it too wet, but you also don't want to dry it too much. Add another splash of water if necessary. When the sauce is reduced, add the herbs.
4. Make 4 small holes in the sauce. Break an egg into a cup and carefully place it in the hole, repeat with the remaining eggs.
Cook for a few more minutes until the whites are ready and the yolks are still runny. Sprinkle over the crumbled feta or mozzarella cheese. Serve with yogurt on the side.